Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This title was going to be a quilting pun, but forget it.

Honestly, I even googled "quilting puns" but midway through reading them, I remember that the pun would be lost on um.. everyone.

I've always been really interested in quilting (since I am old at heart), and I took a quilting class this February at my local fabric store (Portsmouth Fabric Co). I had a lot of fun picking out fabrics and learning how to use a sewing machine with my awesome teacher Kerin and my four classmates. We made a really simple rail fence 5x5 quilt with a border.



So after I finished with this tiiiiiiny quilt - I think the finished dimensions are 40x40 - I decided to get more ambitious with a throw for the couch.

I wanted to stick with simple blocks and I wanted something less busy than the quilt I just finished. After a lot of googling, I decided to do a zig zag quilt. Basically, there are two ways to make a zig zag quilt - one involves piecing triangles (which I have NO idea how to do) and the other is um well, the other way is the easy way out. I think you know which one I chose.

I looked at the general directions and hijacked Tim's computer to use Illustrator to give myself a guide. I'm not sure how it happened, but as I was casually buying fabric and slowly sewing things together, we decided that this quilt would go in the van.

OH WAIT, WHAT?! QUILT IN THE VAN!? VAN LEAVING MID MAY!?

Believe it, Michelle, it's all true. So I decided to go with Robert Kaufman Carolina Chambray for the gray and Kaffe Fassett Shot Cottons for the colors. Basically, the fabrics are similar in the fact that the warp is one color and the weft another, giving the material a nice look.


So that's what I've been doing with a lot of trial and error and swearing and cursing at the sewing machine


I ran into a few snafus.. one of which was getting the wrong color fabric and then throwing a fit (this was yesterday) and another being that there was no way I could machine quilt this by myself, but everything is going well. I found another fabric supplier and I found someone who has a longarm quilting machine to do the actual quilting (I'm technically only piecing right now)

I took over the office / Tim's closet with all the supplies and it is kind of a tight fit..


I'm halfway through the quilt right now and am waiting for the gray chambray to come in the mail. The quilt is going to be dropped off on Sunday.. hope I can make it!


2 comments:

  1. Looks super good, totally reminds me of the Albers, which is a fine good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. quilting pun? yikes.
    when did you turn 55 and was it fun?

    ReplyDelete