Monday, June 28, 2010

Houston

I think I'm beginning to block out the more harrowing parts of this trip. Michelle claims it took us most of the day to drive across Louisiana and apparently we did so without A/C in the van. I have no recollection. I do remember getting into Houston late at night and driving all the way across the city to the beeeeaaauuuutiful Red Roof Inn: another night too hot and humid to suffer in the van. We had an inexplicable craving for pizza, so as all the pizza joints began to close for the evening, we found one about a half hour away willing to wait for us.


Utilizing Houston's INSANE highway system, we managed to make it in time. I don't think I ever tried to imagine what Houston would look like, but I did not anticipate all the concrete and 12 lane super highways. It's actually quite impressive and the first indication to us that everything is indeed, bigger in Texas.


On the agenda the next morning was a meeting with Karen and Alberto of Greener Grass Design. They run a beautiful and well-curated web store from their home/workshop/warehouse in Houston. We had a lovely discussion about art, design, Houston, Texas, dogs, and road-tripping. They suggested I also meet with Steve at Peel Gallery (photo above). Another great talk with a super nice dude, on a cold call this time. It's always nerve-racking to approach a gallery owner, especially knowing how often they must have to deal with people like me wanting to look at their work. Looks like there are Texas opportunities on the horizon, though. Psyched.


Business taken care of, we went downtown looking for art. The Menil museum did not buy Michelle's suggestion that Freddie was a service dog helping her deal with her "extreme anxiety," so he waited in the shade while we browsed their nice but somewhat random collection. This is a photo of Michelle in front of the building and there is a little boy robot on the roof playing a toy drum. OMG, art is weird!!!


Just down the street was the Rothko Chapel which I super loved. Such a peaceful place. Everyone should go. I'd go once a week if I lived in Houston.




For whatever reason, I had my mind set on possibly surfing in Galveston. We took a drive down which lasted longer than the time we actually spent there. What a trash basket, sorry, Galvestonians. Another Tim and Michelle cranky disapproving faces picture.


I like this picture of Michelle's hair.



We blasted out of there back up to Houston because we forgot to stop at The Orange Show. Soooo glad we went back. Our bellies full of delicious Tacos del Julio, we settled into some tractor seats for Thao and Mirah with the Most of All. It would take me a while to explain what The Orange Show is so you should check out the link. And look at these pictures.








Next stop: Austin!

No comments:

Post a Comment