Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Holy Crumb!



We leave in a mere 9 days! On the 13th, we're blasting through most of Southern New England to get to New York City. I'm showing a collection of new furniture during ICFF/Design Week, so we're going to be spending a few days down there networking, schmoozing, and testing the stealthiness of our van on the streets of the outer boroughs. Just after the shows/parties/hand-shaking, we're heading out on the road for realzies.

Since saying "f*ck it, let's drive around for 8 weeks," Michelle has made one very rough Google map, outlining our trip, which is basically as much of an informed itinerary as blindfolded noodle-throwing. So, we recently got a bit more responsible. How much will we stick to this? I dunno. My personality dictates, however, that I'd rather know we're deviating from a plan than have no plan at all. Timeliiiiiiinnnnnnne:

NYC 5/15
DC 5/20
N. Carolina 5/24
Savannah 5/29
Vero Beach FL 6/3 - 6/7
NOLA 6/10
Houston/Galveston 6/12
Austin 6/15
Marfa 6/17
Albuquerque 6/18
G. Canyon 6/20
Phoenix 6/22
S. Diego / Tijuana 6/23
LA 6/26
SF 6/29
PDX 7/2
Yellowstone 7/5
Mt. Rushmore 7/9
Minneapolis 7/11
Chicago 7/13 - 7/17
Grand Rapids, MI 7/17
Toronto 7/19
Montreal 7/21
Burlington, VT 7/23
Portsmouth 7/25

I won't lie, I'm beginning to worry about the May 13th deadline in terms of getting this van together. Bits and pieces of it are all over the place and at various stages of finish (or not finish, mostly). I keep telling myself that as long as I'm plugging away everyday, which I am, things will all of a sudden come together. There is no "all of a sudden" though, when you're working 10-12 hours a day on one thing. Really wish I could montage through this motherf*cker.


And now, the not pay-off. The best new van photo update I have is a shot of the ceiling about halfway done.


You can see one section of the gray industrial felt which will cover the entire ceiling already up there, the naked green fiberglass just after a generous spray gluing getting ready for the next section of felt, and then the very handy plastic dropcloth protecting everything else. (Though, it did not protect my hair which currently lies in gluey, disgusting clumps in our shower drain - photo unavailable). So the ceiling's pretty much done now and I'm relieved. It was a horrible process. I don't like spray glue.


Also, we're official now. Registered the old gal yesterday. So when you see the very distinctive NH 295 9861 rolling down the road, lay on that horn and say hi. We'll probably hold Freddie up to the window and make him wave. Then we'll giggle with glee at his humiliation.

1 comment: